How to build a false wall for electric fireplace: An in-depth, step-by-step guide for 2023
An electric fireplace is a great addition to any home, providing warmth, light and atmosphere.
However, installing an electric fireplace can be an intimidating task, especially when it comes to creating a false wall.
Fortunately, building a false wall is relatively easy and can be done by most DIY enthusiasts.
This article will provide a step-by-step guide to building a false wall for an electric fireplace, including a detailed explanation of the tools and materials required and the estimated cost of the project.
How to build a false wall for electric fireplace
Why build a fake wall for your electric fireplace and TV
Building a fake wall for an electric fireplace and TV can offer the following benefits:
- Improved Aesthetics: A fake wall can be designed to match the decor and style of the room, creating a cohesive and polished look.
- Focal Point: The wall can act as a focal point for the room, drawing attention to the electric fireplace and TV.
- Concealment of Electrical Components: The fake wall can hide the electrical components of the fireplace and TV, creating a clean look.
- Stable Surface for Mounting: The wall can provide a stable surface for mounting the TV, reducing the risk of it tipping over and creating a safer living environment.
- Customizable Design: The design of the fake wall can be customized to meet the specific needs and preferences of the homeowner.
To build a false wall for an electric fireplace, you will need the following supplies:
- Framing lumber (2×4 or 2×6)
- Electrical boxes and switches
- Drywall screws
- Joint compound
- Paint or wallpaper
- Electrical wiring and connectors
- Tools: Tape measure, saw, drill, screwdriver, drywall knife, sandpaper
Additionally, you may need additional lighting fixtures, trim pieces, and other materials depending on the design and style of your false wall and electric fireplace.
Before starting the project, make sure you have all of the necessary supplies and tools to avoid any delays or additional trips to the store.
DEWALT 20V Max Cordless Drill / Driver Kit
- lightweight and compact
- battery pack, charger and carry case included
Step by Step Guide
Building a fake wall for your fireplace is a fairly easy task for any knowledgeable DIYer.
The first thing we would absolutely suggest is to check out Pinterest and gather ideas on what you like the look of and design your wall around those.
After you have some idea of what you are aiming to achieve, follow these steps:
- Measure and plan the space for the electric fireplace and the false wall. Take into account the height, width, and depth of the electric fireplace and the wall.
- Purchase the necessary materials, including drywall, framing lumber, electrical boxes, and switches, drywall screws, joint compound, and paint or wallpaper.
- Install the electrical boxes and switches for the fireplace and any additional lighting fixtures.
- Construct the frame for the false wall using 2×4 or 2×6 framing lumber.
- Attach the drywall to the frame using drywall screws and joint compound.
- Finish the drywall with joint compound, sand it down and then paint or wallpaper it to match the surrounding walls.
- Mount the electric fireplace to the false wall, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Install any additional lighting fixtures and connect all electrical wiring.
How much does it cost to build a fake fireplace wall?
The cost of building a false wall for an electric fireplace will vary depending on the size of the wall and the materials used.
However, a rough estimate for the cost of materials for a basic false wall is around $200-$300.
This does not include the cost of the electric fireplace, which can range from $200 to several thousand dollars depending on the type and style of the fireplace.
How to build a false wall for electric fireplace – Conclusion
Building a false wall for an electric fireplace is a relatively straightforward project that can be completed by most DIY enthusiasts.
By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can create a beautiful and functional addition to your home, providing warmth, light and atmosphere.
The cost of the project will vary depending on the size of the wall and the materials used, but it is a relatively affordable way to add a fireplace to your home.